Content provided courtesy of USAA.
- The color of the car affects my insurance rate. Not true. Rates are based on safety features, the cost of replacements or repairs and other factors the driver brings to the table. So paint your ride any color you like.
- I have no-fault insurance so that means it’s not my fault. Duh! Wrong. No-fault insurance means you only deal with your insurance company, regardless of who is at fault.
- My friend wrecked my whip, so his insurance will cover it. Nope. The policy follows the car, not the driver. Think twice before lending out yours
- A ticket means my rates will go up. Not necessarily. If it was for something minor and it’s your first, the rates might not increase. Maybe slow down, and take a defensive driving course.
- I already have auto insurance, so my new car is automatically covered. Seriously? A shiny new car needs a shiny new policy.